Saturday, December 27, 2008

From an A to a C

I was a business school undergrad and had taken an intro to operations research. The IE department offered an intro to operations research and because of campus politics neither department could claim the courses where the same (official university poilicy would have been to eliminate one of the courses if the departments claimed the course was the same).

So I took the IE course. I'm made an A in the business school course, they had the saqme math prerequisites, no problem (I thought).

He gave a 10 point extra credit question every exam. Going into the final my average was 108. (only engineers and jocks think a performance above 100% is possibile) The final was oinly going to cover inventory theory, which was a single chapter in the book. My car broke down two weeks before school was out, but no problem, I studied that chapter at home, knew the material in my sleep.

The book used greek letters in it's notation in that chapter.

It seems that our teacher decided not to use that chapter, and gave his lectures from notes which used a lot of S's, Z's, X's, etc as notation.

I had no idea what the questions where. I couldn't read the exam. I just sat there and stared at the wall for about 20 minutes. I got up and walked to the front fo the class and asked the teacher the ultimate in stupid questions "If I can't answer any of these questions but just write down stuff I know about inventory models will I* get some kind of partial credit".

He looked at me like I was from Mars (which taking an IE course while a business school student, I kind of was). "No".

"Okay" I went to my seat and stared at the wall some more.

He got curious and came to my desk and asked me what the problem was.

I just said, "I can't answer any of these things", wadded the exam up and threw it at him as I walked out.

I got a C.

Labels:


Lifestyle and Political Blogs


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home