Sunday, July 02, 2006

Which God?

I live in Cushing, Oklahoma and I went out to Sunday morning. My girlfriend lives in Pittsburg, PA and I was talking to her on the phone. I told her that Cushing has a half dozen restuarents, but only one that's open on Sunday morning. Both major religions are represented here --- both the Baptists and the Church of Christ.

Then I got home and found an email from a cousin with a
film clip
that she said was a tribute to our founders. It was a bunch of quotes from famous American's who had mentioned god, or the concept of god, in a positive light. Fourth of July, god, it all kind of gets mixed up. Somehow my cousin thinks quoting Lincoln in a campaign speech mentioning god is a tribute to Lincoln.

I wonder if she ever wondered exactly which god Lincoln was talking about? The christian god who advocates slavery? Or the christian god who set out rules for when it's okay to kill your children? Or maybe he was talking about the butterfly god?

I wonder if god is on Americas side in our various wars? If so, then why can't we win one?


Lifestyle and Political Blogs


2 Comments:

Blogger Guin said...

Probably the one the Portuguese (sp?) didn't thank for not giving them the strength to beat the French in the World Cup!

Why do only the winners thank god while the losers blame themselves?

God helps them who help themselves said Franklin. He was right but only because there is no god so it is all up to us.

Your book was the first one I read on the game and it helped me out a ton.

8:24 AM  
Blogger DMW said...

I dunno, 1 loss and 1 draw in 200+ years of warfare sounds pretty blessed to me.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home