Saturday, June 02, 2007

College women’s softball

I was watching a women’s softball game between Tennessee and Arizona last night out of the corner of my eye. I was playing poker in the poker room at the MGM in Las Vegas and the TV that was up on the wall in front of me was on the ESPN channel that was broadcasting it.

I don’t follow softball so I don’t really know what’s normal and what’s not normal within that sport but two things caught my eye during that broadcast.

One was the text line describing the stats of a designated hitter. A batting average of .207. Somehow that just doesn’t seem like much of a number. Maybe she’s a huge homerun hitter, I don’t know. They did show the current season homeruns and RBI’s but they didn’t seem meaningful. I don’t even remember the number of homeruns, the number of RBI’s was 19, which depending on how young the season is right now might be a big number.

All in all it just seemed like pretty weak stats for a designated hitter.

It was the second thing I noticed that made me think maybe the reason for the low stats of the designated hitter is that they just want to share, not to win.

Instead of performance stats, another hitter had a text line announcing her favorite band is the Beatles.

Favorite band? What the hell kind of sport is College Women’s Softball?

Labels: ,


Lifestyle and Political Blogs


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home