Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Feminist and belief

Here's another example of a feminist who operates based on belief rather than rational thought. This time it's about the concept of "gray rape". Here's what Femisting thinks about it
One more time with feeling: There is no such thing as "gray rape."

Cosmo magazine, which ran (and defended) an article on "gray rape" by slut-shamer Laura Sessions Stepp , is sponsoring a panel on the subject. Once more, the underlying assumption is that there's a gray area when it comes to rape.

She's right in that there's no gray area in the defintion of whether some set of facts is or is not rape. But she's just wrong that there's no such thing as a gray area when trying to ascertian the facts.

There's a bright line in the defintion, but there's not a bright line in determining whether or not an actual situation meets the defintion. That's because it's not always clear what the actual facts are. That's might be a gray area.

It actually can happen that a woman thinks she was raped, but she didn't think so when it happened. She just changed her mind later. She might even think she said no, but that's doesn't always mean she actually did say no.

Being shrill about something as serious as rape isn't really a way to actually accomplish something.

Labels:


Lifestyle and Political Blogs


3 Comments:

Blogger Hot Sam said...

Wow, I agree with you completely. I'm astonished!

What do you think about Rape Shield laws? i.e. that a defense attorney can't bring up a woman's sexual proclivity to undermine lack of consent?

If lack of consent is an essential element of the offense, then the defense should be able to present any relevant evidence that a condition of consent might have existed.

The feminist notion puts all the power in the woman's hands. As you say, a woman can have Saturday Morning Regret and a man could spend years behind bars.

Furthermore, what about alcohol? If a woman can be so intoxicated as to be legally unable to give consent, then why can't a man be so intoxicated as to be unsure about whether consent was given.

Feminists love to say, "What part of 'No' don't you understand?" From my experience, women NEVER say 'No.' Their wishy-washy refusals can easily be interpreted as coyness or enticement, particularly for a highly-aroused and intoxicated man.

What do you think, Mr. ABD in Criminal Justice?

Are you working on a thesis? It took me 8 years (after a topic/advisor change, a divorce, and a military deployment) so I don't blame you for taking a while.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

I think rape shield laws are generally a good thing.

I don't disagree with the general goals of feminism, I just think that most of the activist feminist aren't rational thinkers, they treat it as a religion.

Being so drunk that you're unsure whether it's your car or not is not a defense to a charge of car theft. I'm not sure why you think it should be a defense to a charge of rape.

I'm not sure what to say to a grown man who's never had a woman tell him no.

I failed to finish 3 different PhD programs, in 3 different fields, at 3 different schools, spread out over a few years. I'm not going to return and finish any of them.

The reasons for leaving the programs were all different, the last one was mostly because of a severe depressive episode followed by a severe manic reaction to on overdose of anti-depressants and then a long period of depression and homelessness.

If I'd have returned to the criminal justice program my research probably would have been related to forecasting models for prison populations -- I did a little work on that.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Hot Sam said...

I think it's generally inappropriate to question a woman's character, but I think the judge should use discretion to grant or deny the questioning. Lack of consent is an element of the offense - if a man can show that consent was likely, I think he's entitled to that defense.

No, I do not think intoxication should be a defense for rape. I'm merely comparing the state of mind of the alleged rapist and victim and wondering why there is an imbalance.

I've been completely wasted with almost poisonous levels of alcohol, and I never did anything major that I wouldn't have done sober. Unless a woman is drunk to the point of unconciousness, I don't believe she is unable to grant/deny consent. And in no case should a man's intoxication be a defense.

I'm not saying no woman has ever denied me. I'm saying I have never heard the word, "No." I've heard "maybe later" and "not right now" and "I'm not in the mood" and some other pretty lame excuses that I recognized as a "No." Perhaps my experience is unusual. Women have a habit of not saying what they really mean.

I finished my PhD after receiving a letter that my current advisor didn't think I could finish a thesis in his field. I'm sure they intended for me to leave, but I switched advisors, switched fields, came up with a new topic and finished in under two years (with a seven month break in Kosovo).

I was in the midst of a divorce and was working eight part-time jobs to support my family.

I was homeless when I joined the Army. Apparently you and I have more in common than I ever would have guessed.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home