Monday, January 21, 2008

Billy Jeff

I heard part of Bill Clinton's speech at some MLK event today.

He talked about the day he heard MLK's I have a dream speech. Billy Jeff was 16, living in Hot Springs Arkansas. No one in his family had ever gone to college. He says he cried when he listened to that speech on the radio.

Uh.

Bill's a couple of years older than me. I was 14 in 1963. And I didn't live in Hot Springs, I lived in Austin, Texas, which is quite a bit more liberal and cosmopolitan than Hot Springs (we even had Beatnik coffee houses in Austin and gays were allowed to actually walk down the sidewalk in daylight hours).

I promise you that no 16 year old Arkansas redneck in Hot Springs cried when he heard a black guy give a speech on the radio in 1963. Not even Billy Jeff Clinton.

Labels: ,


Lifestyle and Political Blogs


1 Comments:

Blogger TenMile said...

Uh, Mmmm. . . Ex-Pres wouldn't really lie to us, would he? And Hillary wouldn't either, yes?

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home