Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Architecture

I've spent a good chunk of my life in southern states, Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. I've lived some other places, but most of my time has been spent in those three states.

One thing that's common in those areas, particularly among older buildings, is high ceilings. A high ceiling traps that hot air away from the people down in the bottom part of the room, it's just really common in older southern architecture.

Last night a walked through a residential area in Las Vegas for a couple of blocks and was struck by the low profile all the houses had. Flat or low pitched roofs and low ceilings.

I guess there's just not much pre-air-conditioning architecture here, nobody lived here before air conditioning.

Labels:


Lifestyle and Political Blogs


1 Comments:

Blogger Steffi said...

Hi Gary,

My name is Stefanie Loh and I'm a student journalist competing in the Hearst Journalism Competition in San Francisco, CA this week.

One of our assignments has been to write a story on the 40th anniversary of the 1967 Summer of Love, and in my research, I came across your blog post about how you were a sailor in the Navy and in San Francisco for two weeks that summer.

I would be very interested to talk to you about that some more.

The story I'm working on has to be completed by the afternoon of Friday, June 8. So if you could get back to me before then and maybe set up a phone interview, I would very much appreciate it and would love to hear about your experiences that summer.

You can reach me at stefanie.loh@gmail.com or through my cell phone (which is better) at 541-513-1860.

Thank you.
Stefanie Loh

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home