Thursday, June 07, 2007

A retired light colonel

During the first Gulf War I was teaching in the business school at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX. We had a couple of retired military who taught supply channel type courses in the management department. When the war started they began sitting around the faculty lounge pontificating on military logistics. I couldn't take it and started walking across the quad to buy coffee at the student union rather than go into the faculty lounge to get a free cup of coffee.

My military experience was that of a Navy deck force ape, my politics and life experiences was so far removed from those guys that I didn't even want to be in the same room with them when they were talking up how easy it is to win a war.

I'm in Las Vegas this week, sitting in Coffee Bean across the street from UNLV, doing some Excel work for a small consulting gig I'm working on in between trips to the Rio for the World Series of poker.

There's a large table next to me with 5 business school students, members of some student group, and their faculty adviser. He has the look and talk of some retired Air Force Lt. Colonel supply officer. Listening to him spout off with various nonsense is making me want to through a chair at him.

Labels: ,


Lifestyle and Political Blogs


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home